Monday, June 23, 2008

Feeling Fancy

I am taking two classes this semester--a class in my major, and one that is a requirement for graduation. The course for graduation is Religion 200: intro to religious studies. There are parts that are interesting, and parts that I find aggravating...I am sure that you can think of some things that might come up in a class like this that might aggravate you!

So, we post statements twice per chapter that talk about what we found to be most interesting or relevant from the chapter. We then make two comments on what other people have written. Finally, we have to pose a question of the week that relates in some way to what the chapter was about. Our teacher then posts which ones he thinks are the best--we get extra credit if he chooses ours. My statement last Thursday got chosen--pretty fancy! Today's topic was "Explaining Evil." The author of our text book defines evil as "intense, pointless suffering.' (the book is "Studying Religion: An Introduction Through Cases by Gary Kessler, p. 161) I don't think that really fits--I see suffering as more of a byproduct of evil. What do you peeps think?


Totally off the subject--I went to the orthopedic surgeon again today and got myself a prescription for a knee brace for my left knee as well as my right. The goal is to see how much neoprene I can wear before I pass out from heat stroke :) No surgery plans yet--I am going again in 3 months to see how things are looking. No sending me sweets! I am working hard to loose some weight so that my deformed knee caps stay in place and stop hurting :)

3 comments:

emaalyon said...

I'm sorry you've got hurty knees. I'm send good vibes your way so they get better without needing the surgery. As far as the definition of evil goes, I find that kind of interesting. You're right intense suffering to say the least is a byproduct of evil. I don't know that I agree that it is pointless suffering though. I'd like to think there is something to learn by the suffering at least. But I suppose We may only know that because of the power of the Holy Ghost and Heavenly Father's plan for us. Sounds like a very intereting class to say the least.

Anonymous said...

I took a Christianity class in college. I wasn't a member at that point, but I still found it odd that we didn't even mention the LDS church once. The curriculum assumed nothing of spiritual significance happened after 300 A.D. I guess.

emaalyon said...

Michelle, thank you so much for the flowers!!! They're beautiful and they brightened my day. You are such a sweetheart still thinking of me even a few weeks after the fact; whichs makes it all the more special. Thanks again!
Emily