Thursday, July 10, 2008

I like my homework :)

I just got done doing some homework for my last class as an undergraduate. I have to keep saying that because it seems so hard to believe! Anyway, the class is Aural Rehabilitation. We basically talk about all of the ways that can be used to help people that have hearing loss of some kind, whether it be mild to profoundly deaf. I have only been to the class a couple of times, but I am totally loving it. This assignment was to find some websites that have hearing loss simulators and evaluate the sites--basically, do they have good information. I don't have a hearing loss, so this was totally fun for me. I thought I would post a few of the sites here so if you are interested, you can hear what things sound like if you had a hearing loss. Plus, you can then be extra encouraging to those that you know need hearing aids--it is amazing what you miss when you have a hearing loss!This is an audiogram, it shows a normal hearing person, and one with hearing loss due to noise exposure. I found it at www.sfu.ca/sonic-studio/handbook/Audiogram.html.

Before listening to the hearing loss sound bytes, listen to the normal hearing one and set your volume--don't change the volume as you are listening (that's cheating since someone with a HL can't do that unless they wear hearing aids!)


This site simulates both mild and moderate hearing losses in lots of different contexts:



This site lets you decide how much hearing loss or background noise you want. You may have to download the plug-in.



This site is done by a professor and allows you to hear what certain diseases sound like, as well as other hearing losses. Pretty cool.



Let me know what you think (or if you have questions) I might be able to answer some now :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Blee,
Me and mom looked at those sites and it was really interesting! Now we know what dad really hears (or not hears) =D

Love,
Ashley and Mom

Amy Bateman said...

That is interesting. Now I can better understand how someone can slowly lose hearing and maybe not realize it!
Hope all your homework is this fun!