Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A Science and Society Update

For those of you who don't remember, my Science and Society class is one that is supposed to make me a more responsible scientist. I think that is a great goal...although I have to say I don't consider myself a scientist, but that is a little off topic....We have finally started talking about a science related subject, global warming, a heated topic to be sure. I just got out of that class and I am pondering some things--none of which we talked about in class, but I think are interesting/relevant to any "science" discussion.
The first thing that is driving me a little crazy about these discussions is that there seems to be only one right answer--how often is that actually true in real life? I have found very few things to actually be completely polarized and yet we don't even consider that global warming might be more than humans are bad and causing the world to start on fire...we seem to gloss over the fact that the earth seems to have natural cycles of warming and cooling and that maybe we are not the sole cause, but a contributing factor. It also seems that people are either for or against doing something about it. Again, why not some moderation? Regardless of whether or not the earth is warming, can't we work to lessen our impact on the earth--recycle more, turn out lights, walk/ride bikes more often etc?

My other pet peeve about this class is that if you are religious in any way, your opinion doesn't count. Obviously, you are nuts, don't you know? I am religious (you guys are surprised, aren't you!)...I think that I can still reason through things without letting it make my opinion out of this world. Let's take evolution for an example. I believe that God created the world, and the people that inhabit it. I also believe that evolution exists--I don't buy that we came from apes, but, I think that I am higher on the evolutionary chain than some of you--I didn't have any wisdom teeth :) Ok, I'm just kidding about being higher on the chain, but I think you get my point--religion and science aren't mutually exclusive, and it is silly to pretend that they are.




So, that's what I have been thinking about...I don't think that these things make me a "crazy right wing nut" but, maybe it does...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny you should say that about religion and science. Last sunday Elder Eyering dedicated the institute building and he told a story about his father (famous scientist) giving a speech in response to an award and when it was over he said "Dad, you bore your testimony" His Father answered, "Did I?" then went on to say that in his mind there was no seperation between science and religion. So I think you're right on target with one of the best scientists of the world and a very faithful, religious, follower of Christ too!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, some things don't have to be so black and white.
Like the global warming thing, I totally agree. Even if you don't believe in GW, why wouldn't you want to do more to take care of this earth that was so lovingly made for us?