So, the other day Jeff and I were walking through Home Depot looking for a part for the weed whacker (weeds are taking over the lots!!) and we saw some door mats that were maroon and gold with a big Sparky on them and I said to Jeff "Sweet! I think we should get one!" and he said "No way! We should get a Utah State one, where has your loyalty gone!" That got me to thinking about school spirit/loyalty to a school.I have a love of Utah State, my sweet hubby graduated from there and I love Logan. However, BYU has a special spot in my heart as well, mostly because my Dad graduated from there and I can remember a few fun things from living there. When I started going to ASU I didn't have a love of the school--it was way too big and way to a-moral. However, I have come to love certain aspects of the school--the most important being I will have a degree from there, so I have
started cheering for their football team (which stinks a lot of the time...although they have won their first two games so their might be some hope this year!) I have also started desiring to have things that have Sparky's on them. He is a cute little devil after all :) So what's the answer here? Can you have loyalty to more than one school? Can you get along with others that don't cheer for "the right" school? It is all a funny thing anyway considering most of us never set foot on the campus after graduation again. The answer for us is a Utah State door mat for one door and an ASU one for the other...or we just stick with the ones that we have now :)
On another note...when I got on the bus the other day the driver was chatting on his cell phone. I don't think that Arizona has any cell phone driving laws at the moment, but that seems a little iffy to me. If more accidents occur due to talking on the phone, surely the city of Tempe should have rules about its drivers talking on the phone, I mean, those things weigh like 4 times more than a car, just think how much more damage it could do! Luckily he didn't stay on for too long after I got on, but I thought it was highly suspect...
2 comments:
I was always horrible about school spirit. I think NAU is the lumberjacks. They made us learn the fight song at orientation. I ditched and went to watch a movie.
I also ditched all of the high school pep rallies. I am beginning to sound like quite the truant. I love going to class, but beyond that I wasn't at all interested in the college life.
My German friend bought a bunch of ASU stuff before he went back to germany because his grandma collected devils. The thought of a german grandma surrounded by devils really scares me.
Sorry this comment is so long.
I think that is hilarious! Did you know that my Grandma lives in Germany? I have a hard time imagining her surrounded by devils though :)
Post a Comment