So! I had an adventure the other night...in the bathroom...with a creature that didn't belong in my house. I actually thought I would post this story, and my cockroach incident since it too occurred in the bathroom. Mostly they are just silly :)
Saturday night I got up a couple of hours after we had gone to bed to use the bathroom. I don't usually turn the light on in the bathroom if I get up because I don't want to wake up too much. However, on Saturday I was already pretty awake...trouble sleeping (not a big surprise to some of you, I am a terrible sleeper!)...anyway, I happened to turn the light on. So I did my business and I went to the sink to wash my hands--soap, a little more water, lather lather lather, hands under the water, movement, rinse--movement!! I look again and their is this gecko hanging out in my sink! I'd like to say I handled it calmly, but I didn't. I let out a giant shriek and ran out of the bathroom, leaving the water on and everything. Jeff didn't come running (we had a little chat about that and he will be moving much more quickly in the future :)) so I ran down the hall yelling that he better get in the bathroom now and take care of the thing in the sink. Jeff was very brave--grabbed the gecko and threw it out the back door. Pretty much he thought it was funny that I was so upset about it because we have several little lizards that live around the outside of the house, and about three geckos that live by our front door. What he didn't understand was, they are fun to see when they are outside, but definitely not inside. We know how he got in...the window in the bathroom doesn't close right...Jeff will be fixing that later on today :)
My other creature encounter also occurred in the bathroom, but with an even more unwelcome creature than a gecko--a cockroach. I should preface this by saying we had a cockroach problem when we moved in. I am sure that we still do since the darn things can live through just about anything, but we are sprayed regularly and haven't seen any lately (YAY!!). So one morning not long after we had moved in I was getting ready for school and went into the bathroom to dry my hair. I turned on the blow dryer and flipped my hair and started drying. I started to notice a weird smell coming from the dryer--at first I just thought some hair had been sucked in and was burning, but as I dried a little longer I realized that it was not the right smell. I flip my hair back and look into the dryer to see if I can see the problem. A shriek and thrown blow dryer later revealed a cooked cockroach inside the dryer. I made Jeff by my a new blow dryer and for a couple of weeks it was his job to go into the bathroom in the morning and check for roaches. I am much less lax now, but if I have left the dryer out on the counter for a few days it gets a tap before being turned on.
Oh, for those of you wondering what a cooked roach smells like....tuna.
Monday, September 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I can never eat Tuna again. Thanks, michelle. Just kidding. Yuck to both stories. I hate dealing with anything that is creepy crawly -- anywhere, but especially in the house. I still have the heebie geebies!!
Now we're never coming to visit you with geckos and cockroaches. Then again, maybe they're not as bad as crickets, so we might visit after all.
Love,
Amy
I think you should write a day-in-the-life column for your local paper--your stories always make me laugh. We had a cockroach incident in our hotel in Texas. I, personally, felt the staff weren't quite horrified enough that I found a cockroach crawling all over the babies' bag. But, I guess maybe if you're in Texas...I don't know. Anyhow, I can personally vouch for the idea that even the bugs are bigger in Texas.
Amy, cockroaches and geckos are the least of my worries here in the desert, I'd much rather have them than say scorpians and snakes!
Janine--thanks for the vote of confidence, but I don't think anyone would pay me:) I am horrified for you, but I do understand the hotels position. Sadly, I think you get used to the roaches...
Burgess--I still haven't eaten tuna since then :) Jeff hates it so I haven't really tried!
Post a Comment