Wednesday, September 3, 2008

It's been (almost) one week!

Don't you love the Bare Naked Ladies?

Anyway, I have been working several days and I love my job! I was a little timid the first couple of days, but I am in the swing of things now. In Arizona, there are certain groups of kids that have to be tested in the first 45 days of school--preschoolers, kindergartners, second graders, sixth graders, and ninth graders, anyone new to the school district, kids in special ed, and anyone that failed the hearing screening the year before. As you can imagine this is a large number of students--I had no idea how many it would be though! I found out that Mesa School district is the largest in Arizona, with over 72,000 students! We test about 50,000 of those during the school year!! It is totally amazing!

The little kids are so fun to test--they crack me up because they never seem to remember that they have to raise their hand if they hear the beep. Lots of times they just turn and look at you with a big grin. I say something like "what do you do if you hear the noise? Remember to raise your hand as soon as you hear the beep!" probably 50 times a day. The big kids are fun too because they have done the test enough times that they remember and ask lots of questions. I enjoy that because I have had some training in the area, so I can tell them a little about the tests. Some of the other ladies don't enjoy it as much because they don't really understand the stuff behind the tests.

I work with a bunch of really fun older women, they have lots of great stories about things that have happened on the job, and just in life. I am learning that I will have to deal with geckos getting into my house (two this week, but that is another post!!!!). Anyway, I am grateful that they are all so kind.

Today was exciting--I had my first kid with lice! I have never had lice, and I didn't know what they looked like. Luckily (I think!) there was a kid that had lice earlier than mine, and one of the lice ended up on the table so I could check it out. We don't test kids with lice--we don't want to help spread it around the school. Every time my head itches now I am freaking out. I didn't really get close enough that one could jump on me, and we didn't share a hairbrush, so I am probably ok :) Just overly excited I guess.

I think that is all I have to report for now. We hope that you all had a nice labor day--we spent most of the weekend trying to get control of the crazy weeds that have sprouted due to the freakish amounts of rain that we have been getting. We got a lot of labor completed, so I guess we can call it successful :)

5 comments:

Amy Bateman said...

Glad you're enjoying your job. I think it was Lyndsey that had a test at her preschool screening and the tech told her there were monkeys in her ears that he would take a picture of. She believed for months that there really were little monkeys in her ears because she saw them!

Glad you avoided catching lice. That's one thing I hope I never have to deal with!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow Michelle lice! I have never seen lice either. Happy to hear you did not catch it!:) I am so happy to hear that you enjoy your job.Guess it is better than filing paperwork huh?:) Hope things continue to go smooth!

Love ya,
Emilie

Janine said...

Sounds like a great job. I love funny little kids! We miss you

Anonymous said...

Aren't little kids fun! there is never a dull moment and a lot of things happen you don't expect.
love,
Rannie

Anonymous said...

Aren't little kids fun! there is never a dull moment and a lot of things happen you don't expect.
love,
Rannie