Thursday, April 17, 2008

Rocket Pictures

As Michelle wrote we launched some model rockets this last weekend. Some of you might be interested in my history with Rocketry, both model and real.



I built my first model rocket when I was around 9 years old. As a kid I built a dozen or so rockets from kits and loved to get the Estes catalog and dream of owning all the rockets. When I became a teenager I stopped building and flying rockets and kinda forgot how fun they were. Ultimately my education led me to be involved with NASA and sounding rockets when I was at USU and helped me get a job at Orbital Sciences building real rockets. Then Michelle and I attended a model rocket derby for Orbital, and I decided that it would be fun to build some model rockets. I built a bunch of rockets, and attended a few launches at a local rocketry club and had a great time. Then the hobby kinda went on the back burner when me moved, until this last weekend when we again went to a launch. I am excited again to build the rocket kits I have and buy some more :).


Here are some of the pictures I took this last weekend. As Michelle indicated most of them are just rockets, but I did get a few people in some of them.


Here is a Baby Bertha we built with Jeff and Darla's family. You can't tell from the picture, but each fin is a different color. Each of the four oldest kids picked a color so we ended up with a blue, a purple, a red, and a green fin!

Here is the Baby Bertha being launched.


Here is my dollar rocket (there is a dollar bill in the payload section) being launched.

Here is my Legacy rocket being launched. It was just a little fast for my camera!



And here is our friend Jeff after he ran to retrieve the Legacy rocket.

4 comments:

Amy Bateman said...

This brings back memories of watching you and the other boys launch rockets in the back yard and chase them down in the pasture! Do Mom & Dad still have a launcher? My kids would love to see rockets sometime!

Nick said...

We are crushed anyway now that we know what was going to happen. Maybe you could delay working after graduation for a few weeks and visit then. :)

Nick said...

P.S. The rockets look great!

Linzi said...

Michelle- hahaha..."crack" baby. Yeah I guess I was kind of crazy. I did a lot of dumb stuff but I had someone like you to help me grow up. I still tell people how awesome you were and how you cooked for me my entire first year of college. You were the best roommate!