Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The drama I call my life :)

Well! Seems like I should tell you all that I will be graduating sooner rather than later. Sunday afternoon I was working on my fall schedule when I found out something that royally messed up my plans...I couldn't take all three classes I needed to graduate in the fall semester. One of them was only taught in the Spring. I know it seems like I should have known that before--but I REALLY thought that they were all offered in the fall. I knew that they were all offered in the summer, but I wanted to be able to do some fun things, so I thought to myself--at this point, what is one more semester??? Turns out it will be too much :)

SO! I am officially enrolled in summer classes which means I miss the Robertson reunion (on Jeff's side) and the three week trip to Utah I was hoping to take when he goes for work. Good thing I haven't talked to Janine and Nick about it yet--then they would be as crushed as I am! Instead, my booty will be taking at least 9, but maybe 12 credits this summer. The only upside I can see to this right now is that ASU has air conditioning and the house doesn't...I can at least study without sweating now I guess.

When I figured this all out I had a panic attack because I don't have a plan for this next year. I thought I wouldn't be able to graduate until after the fall, so I didn't apply to graduate school. After pondering lots of solutions, I thought "Hey! This might be a good opportunity to get a teaching certificate. That way, if I don't get in to graduate school, I will be in doubly good shape searching for a job." So yesterday I hiked all over campus in 96 degree weather...in jeans (what was I thinking!)...only to find out that this won't work out very well either. I would be considered a post-bac (silly since I am only getting my BA this summer) so I would have to get my masters in education. I'm not opposed to getting a masters, but in order to complete the coursework and student teaching in a year, I'd have to take summer courses. Unfortunately, I already am...I am going to a meeting next week to see if I really, really can't get this done, so we will see. My current plan is to try to get a job instead...we'll see how that goes.

In other news, those of you who have been hounding me about my knees can rest easy, or at least easier. I have officially made a doctor's appointment! It isn't for a week and a half though, so there isn't any exciting news. I know that a few of you aren't aware of my ongoing knee issues, here is a short version. When I was 12 I dislocated my right knee...that REALLY hurts, I don't recommend it :) Over the years it has slipped out of place several more times. In more recent years it has started to grind and has just been painful. When I was about17 I tore the cartilage in my other knee. It sometimes aches when the weather changes, but hasn't given me too many problems until more recently. It too has started to ache more consistently and is starting to grind when straightened. I have been walking for the past month or so with a friend in the mornings and ever since then, those stinky knees of mine have been hurting more and more often. In fact, some mornings I have to shuffle around the house until the Ibuprofen kicks in. I have known I need to call a doctor for a while now, but I hate calling on the phone--especially unknown peoples. Last night I promised my mom (for like the 3rd time!) to call, so I did. Hopefully this guy is good....

Last weekend we went and launched some rockets. We haven't done that in a long time, so it was extra fun. We took some friends, Jeff and Darla and their kids. My Jeff loves to have kids around and to show them how it all works. The Hansen kids were very interested in all parts of it--even chasing down the rocket as it drifted back down to earth--good kids! We took a couple of pictures of rockets, but not as many with people. Jeff was in charge of the camera, so I take no responsibility :) I don't currently know where the camera is, so I can't post any of the pictures. I'll have Jeff do that a little later.

Here is hoping that you are all healthy and happy. By the way, I am so excited that some of my old roomies have found our blog from other friends! It is SO fun to see and hear what you are all up to. Hugs!

4 comments:

ryan and berni said...

Wow, you are a busy woman, Michelle. Congrats on graduating soon and let us know what they say in the meeting. We had no idea about your knees, ouch! Hope the appt goes well and this Doctor helps. Rockets are so fun, I haven't done those since I was a kid! Were you holding out on your roomate Jeff? ;)

Amy Bateman said...

Good luck with your classes, Michelle! I'm sure everything will work out even if it's not how you envision it at the time.

Linzi said...

That stinks that your knees are still hurting. I remember you dislocating your knee in Rexburg and how hard that was. Good luck with the upcoming semester. Sounds tough but you are going to do great!

Amber said...

Yikes! Knee problems are no fun! I've had arthritis since I was 10 so believe me - I know what it's like to shuffle around until the meds kick in. Every morning when I wake up I feel like I'm about 80 years old! I don't like to call the Dr. either. I just don't want to go in I guess.