Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Unknown Danger

I had a very interesting experience today! I was doing some housework in preparation for our jaunt to Idaho/Utah and the kitchen garbage was full. I usually leave that chore for Jeff, but it stank, and had about 20 pounds of yucky melon in it, so I thought what the heck, I'll take it out. It was heavy, so my big plan to get it to the trash can was to carry it off the back porch and then drag it through the grass and around the house, thus lessening the amount of hard labor I had to do :) As I picked up the bag to step over some stuff on the porch, something in my shoulder freaked out and I had to drop the bag. I was pretty stunned at the amount of pain, but figured it was some freak accident and not serious--you know, like getting a crick in your neck? So I got to the garbage can and tossed the bag in with my left arm and noticed that it tweaked my right shoulder. At this point I was a little worried that it was worse than I had initially thought, so I went in and put an ice pack on it and called Jeff to tell him that I had hurt myself. He was very gracious and hurried home to make sure I was ok. By that time I was pretty sure that I wasn't, but I didn't want to go to the doctor and have them tell me to stop being a baby. Jeff talked me into it though. We went to the Urgent Care and they did a few x-rays to make sure nothing was broken...nothing was, but some of the poses they had me in were quite painful! The doctor told me things were too swollen to make any definitive diagnosis, so she sent me home with a prescription and told me to come back in a week if it was still hurting since it could be a strained ligament, soft tissue damage, or torn rotator cuff. Right now I don't care what it is as long as the drugs kick in soon. It has gotten distinctly more painful as the evening has gone on. Who knew that taking out the trash could be so dangerous?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

And that is why Jeff's job is to take out the garbage! Hopefully you're doing better now after a nice visit to Idaho! Sorry we missed everyone.

Love,
Amy

Mac and Kelly said...

Hey, did you already go on your vacation?

Burgess said...

Okay, that's it, I'm never taking the garbage out again!

Anonymous said...

Burgess...when have you ever take out the garbage?

hope you feel better soon Michelle. by the way, even though I have no sound on this computer, that video you posted is still hilarious.

Michelle said...

I am feeling much better! It still gets tweaked every once in a while, but I fully expect that to be the case for a little while. I sure love that video too!