Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Grand Canyon Hike Day 3

Day 3 of our hike had us started out at Indian Gardens Campground. When camping in the canyon the rangers are very adamant that you don't feed the wildlife. You have to store all of your food, trash (pack it in, pack it out), and anything else that smells such as soap or deodorant in a metal box. In fact they say that the animals know that food is stored in plastic bags, and when they smell plastic they think there is food inside and will chew through any container (pack or tent) to get the the plastic/food. Michelle filmed a squirrel that wanted to find the food we had in our camp (look at the bottom of the post).

Here is our camp at Indian Gardens. Notice the pack hanger that is critter proofed so the animals can't climb into your pack.
A view from our camp.
As we were leaving or camp a helicopter flew in and landed next to the ranger station. I was able to get this cool picture. Michelle found out later that they were just dropping off supplies, and not rescuing anyone.
Michelle and I after about a mile into the trail.
The hike from Indian Gardens to the rim is about 4.6 miles, and climbs about 3000 feet. The day was hot and sunny and it took its toll on us. We went nice and slow, but because of this about 2 and half miles from the top we were close to running out of water. We decided that we should separate for a little bit. I would go to the top and get more water while Michelle continued to the mile and a half rest house. I made it to the top and reorganized my pack to carry water back to Michelle, but then locked my key in the trunk. I called and talked to Michelle and found out that a ranger, Ranger Della, had stopped and given her some water and Gatorade, and was walking with her. Because Michelle was in good hands I stayed at the car and had a locksmith come get my keys out of the trunk. Eventually I got my keys and then met Michelle when she was about a quarter of a mile from the top.
View of the Canyon

Here we are at the top!!!
Good Job Michelle!!!


I had a great time hiking the Grand Canyon. I also want to say how proud I am of Michelle. When my friend had to cancel on me about a week before the trip because he hurt his knee, Michelle jumped in so I wouldn't have to cancel the whole trip. With only a week of preparation and no Backpacking experience she hiked one of the toughest places on earth. This will be an experience I will remember for the rest of my life and I am fortunate to have been able to do it with my best friend!


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea! for both of you! Michelle I'm impressed, I don't think I could've done the grand with only one week's preparation. Looks like you had a good time!

Amy Bateman said...

Great job both of you! What an amazing experience.

Deanne said...

I get more amazed with each day that you post! WOW what an accomplishment! I don't think I would be strong enough!!! Great job you 2 :)

Burgess said...

Makes me want to hike it someday! GOOD JOB YOU TWO!

Rachel said...

What a neat thing to have done. Michelle, I hope you go get yourself a pedicure, massage or whatever else you desire for doing so well. I would have been scared with such little preparation and I have good knees. I loved the picture of Jeff sitting at the rest house. What an adventure and some neat experiences. you two Rock!

Rosanne said...

Great job you two!!! Michelle you did great you too Jeff. The pictures I'm sure don't do it justice but they are awesome to see. Rest up, what a fun adventure.

Rosanne said...

Great job you two!!! Michelle you did great you too Jeff. The pictures I'm sure don't do it justice but they are awesome to see. Rest up, what a fun adventure.

Anonymous said...

I loved reading about your hike! I am very jealous:) Great job you two!

Love ya,
Emilie

Linzi said...

Wow...that's all I'm going to say is WOW!! Oh and maybe that I think you two are amazing and we are glad you survived :)