The night before we stayed at the EconoLodge in Williams with points I had earned from my work travel. Unfortunately the bed was very uncomfortable, the next morning the shower was pretty weak. Because of the bad bed we decided to "sleep" in a little bit and didn't get the amount of rest we needed or as early a start as we wanted.
Here is a couple picture of the contents of our packs. Mine ended up being about 40 lbs and Michelle's was about 30 lbs. About 10 of those pounds was water.
About a mile into the hike you come to the Ooh Aah point. This is when you pass a wall of rock and get the whole canyon out in front of you for the first time. The South Kaibab trail is a ridge trail, and it offers beautiful vistas along its whole length. The picture below is a composite of 11 pictures I took and then stitched together. I do have to say as impressed with how this picture (and the other like it below) it still pales to actually being there.
If you zoom in you can see the trail we will hike below O'Neil Butte in the center. (Click on photo to zoom in.)
Michelle and I with the canyon behind. (Good caption huh!)
Here is another composite photo further down the trail. Now we are level with O'Neil Butte.
Here I am at Skeleton Point. At this point we have just passed O'Neil Butte and are about to descend about a hundred switchbacks
Here is a composite shot at Tipoff Point
It was at this point in the Hike that Michelle ran out of water. I still had some in my camel pack so we shared, but the last two miles down all the switchbacks into the inner gorge were extra hard on Michelle. At this point I said a little prayer asking for help for Michelle. About 3/4 of a mile out of the campsite a nice man gave Michelle some water and offered his 18 year old son to carry her pack. We were both very grateful for the help and the answer to our prayer. With this help we made it to Bright Angel Campground and quickly setup camp before it got too dark.

5 comments:
Wow you guys are brave. I can't wait to see the rest!
Quite an accomplishment for your first day. Gorgeous scenery!
Incredible!! I can't wait to hear the rest of it! Michelle, you are my hero :)
I am sooooo jealous...Dad!
I can't believe you actually hiked the grand canyon! That is one of those life goals...you guys are awesome!!! I hope your knees are ok! Have a great Easter! Dee
Post a Comment