
Monday, July 14, 2008
30 second post
I have about 2 minutes before my class starts again, but my teacher just said the funniest thing. We are talking about where speech falls in reference to some other sounds. This gives you an idea of where some common sounds fall--we were looking at the lawn mower which is about 100 dB--that's loud. Conversational speech usually falls around 30-40 dB. Anyway, 100 dB sounds will kill your hair cells, which means you loose hearing. There are some birds that can regenerate hair cells, but humans can't. So my teacher said "Unless you are a chicken, you should wear hearing protection if you are mowing the lawn." That really made me giggle, so I thought I'd pass on the advice :)


Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
So if we ever develop hearing loss, we can just blame it on all the times our parents forced us to take our turn mowing the lawn and didn't provide ear protection.
I suppose so, but only if you have been wearing ear protection ever since moving away from home :)
Michelle, I have a question for you. Since the lawn mower's noise is on the lower frequency side and most sensory neural hearing loss is on the higher frequency side (something I have picked up while helping you study) does that mean mowing the lawn without ear protection is not as bad as using a circular saw (also 100 dB, but at a higher frequency than the lawn mower) without ear protection?
What's funny is when you posted these things about hearing loss and the samples on your last post; I was mostly deaf out of one year because it was all plugged up. So out of one ear, the second clip was about how I was hearing.
Post a Comment