Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Gecko attack, the third

This is totally crazy! We have never had a gecko in our house before and now all of a sudden we are a gecko motel! Sunday night I went back to our bedroom to get something and on my way out I noticed movement from the corner of my eye. Low and behold this little gecko is hanging out on the floor in my hallway. My first thought is how the heck did it get right there...all of our other visitors have been in the bathroom sink. Then I think, I don't really want to know how it got there...what if there is another entrance point? Anyway, I ran to the kitchen and got a plastic cup and trapped Mr. Gecko under it then I made a panicked call to Jeff, who of course didn't answer his phone. I am NOT going to touch that thing, so I am trying to decide what to do. I could just leave the thing under the cup until Jeff gets back, but what if it dies, then I have a rotting gecko in my hallway. Another terrifying thought comes to me--what if I accidentally tip the cup over and it escapes...or what if it just escapes...By about this time Jeff calls and we discuss my options. I can call someone to see if they will remove the beast for me, but I don't know who our home teachers are, it seems a little too silly to call the Elders quorum president about, besides, it is getting late (9:30 ish). Finally I decide I am going to call my visiting teacher and see if her husband can come and remove the gecko. They don't answer, so I call Jeff back and it takes him 20 minutes to talk me into getting rid of the gecko myself. I put on some latex gloves (did I tell you I am NOT touching the gecko?!?), get a file folder, open the front door so I am ready for a quick escape, and go to work. Somehow I got the gecko on the first try, so I head outside. I hadn't really thought the release through, so I stand on the front porch for a moment pondering, but I can feel the gecko scrabbling around, which is really grossing me out. I come to a quick decision. I chucked everything out into the yard as far as I could throw it, waited 30 seconds so the lizard could get away from the spot, and then carefully crept over to the cup and folder, kicked at it, picked it up and tossed everything into the outside trash can. Jeff was on the phone the whole time this was happening, so I am trying not to shriek, or anything because I know he already thinks I am pretty ridiculous....luckily I was able to do it pretty quietly :)

So, I am proud to say that I have evicted my first gecko, and I hope never to do it again!

P.s. As soon as blogger fixes itself, I will upload a picture of a gecko :)

4 comments:

Amy Bateman said...

Yay, Michelle the gecko-eviction queen! You're a much braver soul than I am. I left a cricket under the cup until it died rather than try to pick it up. Maybe it's a leftover reaction to my brothers scaring me with the things they picked up.

Anonymous said...

You should have given us a call. I'm not afraid.

Unknown said...

Peach! I am sorry to say I laughed while I read that because I had a similar experience with a bee and I chucked it into the yard. Funny must be sister intuition. You are very brave! Love you

Janine said...

It is funny how it doesn't sound like a scary thing to do, but then when you're the one who has to capture the creepy crawly thing...let's just say I have been not-so-brave before.