Saturday, June 9, 2007

A Few Silly Things...

So, I have been awake for a few hours now for no apparent reason so I thought I would jot down a few of the funny things that have happened while I wait for someone else to wake up. It is no fun working by yourself in the wee hours of the morning...sorry Dad for making you do it for so long!

On Wednesday evening, Becky, Jeff, and I decided to go swimming at the local wave pool as we have season passes and it is June. It was a cool day (for Phoenix in June anyway) topping out at 92 degrees. It was also a blustery sort of day, but I figured we would do fine. I am loathe to admit that we weren't. We got to the pool, jumped in, swam through two wave cycles and had to get out due to being Popsicles. That totals about 22 minutes. I can hear those of you living in winter wonderlands laughing your brains out! All I could think the whole time I was trying to stop shivering was how much my family would make fun of me if they only knew. I am ready for a few jabs :)

On Thursday I decided it was time to stop waiting for Jeff to start cleaning out the add on room. I thought for sure that he would be quick to get working on it since it will the rocket room--at least until it is the sewing room :) Alas, having a rocket room wasn't enough of a motivation. So, I got in there and put the Christmas decoration boxes back onto the shelves, broke down a million boxes, and got a ton of trash out of there. It didn't seem to be making a dent. I started to look around for something else I could do--there was no way I was going to try to get the tools organized!--when I noticed that there were a bunch of half finished projects from around the house just taking up space in the room. One of those projects were the already painted doors to the built in shelves in the bedrooms. They had been painted for months and months (and months!) but hadn't been put back up since we needed some new hardware for them. Jeff said he checked at Home Depot, but they didn't have the right kind and the only place that had the correct hinges was the Woodcraft Store. Luckily for me, I had found one on an adventure to get a new tire for the car a few weeks back. So, when Jeff got home I packed him back into the car as soon as he put his lunch box down and off we went to get some hinges, another shelving unit for the add on room and some water. I would just like to mention here that we already knew what we needed and where it was, so I was thinking that this would be an hour trip at most and then we would be able to get a bunch of stuff done when we got home. How wrong I was.
We got to the Woodcraft store and found the hinges, but they only had gold hinges. All of the other hardware on the units was silver so we stood there for a long time debating what we should do. Buy it and replace all of the hardware, or let the doors sit on the floor for another month while we order the correct color from the catalogue. I finally decided that I just wanted them put up, so we picked up the packages and headed for the register--but wait! Jeff needed to just check a couple of things. You see, he and my Dad get along grandly. I am very thankful for that most of the time...except when it comes to woodworking and electronic toys :) While we were home Jeff and Dad made a couple of bows, they also made bows and pens the last time we were home. I am now well versed in the things Jeff needs to make those things...too bad we don't have a place or the money for a home wood shop. If we ever fall into massive amounts of money, I'll know just where to go to spend it :) Finally I dragged Jeff out of the store, and we made a quick stop at Costco for the shelves and water...we ended up with a car washing kit and tool bucket as well. Not a bad day for the handyman so far. We ended up at Home Depot so that we could get some handles for the drawers of the built in, and low and behold they have the correct hinges! Jeff apparently never looked down :) We had another debate about what to do. This one was shorter--we are taking the gold hinges back.

Once we got home and ate dinner it was getting late, so we thought we will just put the doors up. That was a quick job, everything just had to go back into holes that were already there. Ha! Jeff and his huge muscles broke the head off of a screw as he was putting the handle back onto one of the doors, the hinges weren't exactly the same and so things were crooked as we tried to use the old holes and a magnetic closure has magically disappeared. Luckily we have a billion screws and nails from things, so that was a pretty easy fix (I really thought we might have to head back to Home Depot for a minute. We have found that rarely does a job take only one trip...) New holes were drilled where necessary, and the closure will have to be replaced if it doesn't turn up, but the door closes. You can't ask for too much more than that!

This fine morning finds the add on room still not done, a pile of cardboard in the back yard, and I am still the only one awake! I think that I might have to go jump on Jeff so something gets done!

1 comment:

Janine said...

Why is nothing ever, ever as simple as you want it to be?! Still, you are at least being productive. Kudos to you!