Sunday, April 25, 2010

Rocket Launch, and scenic California

OrbTM is GO...

For Launch!

OrbTM is my call sign when I am in the launch control room. It stands for Orbital Telemetry, and I am responsible for all the telemetry from our rocket. On Thursday the weather was just good enough for us to launch.

Michelle came out to watch the launch; I got her a pass onto Vandenburg Air Force Base, so she could hear the countdown and watch the launch. The launch was scheduled to go at Noon, but we had to delay until 4:00 PM. Michelle took some scenic pictures while she waited.

The launch vehicle performed as expected, but the payload was lost after around 9 minutes. Here is a link to a news story about the launch with more info: http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n1004/23minotaur/.
Michelle took the following shots of the rocket.



Sadly, she watched from about 20 miles away, so they aren't the best....but not bad for the distance and the haze.
I had to stay to work a little bit this weekend, but we had a few hours to go and check things out in the area. We got some decent pictures as we drove around. Here is windmill in the town of Solvang. It is a little Denmark town.

One of our favorite things to take pictures of is old farm buildings and equipment. Luckily for us there are a bunch of old barns in the farms and vineyards in this area!


3 comments:

Janine said...

Congrats! Don't pretend: you are a rocket scientist. I liked the article link, although I only understood about half the information...

Amy Bateman said...

Jeff, you look so official with your headset, etc. Great photos, scenic and rocket, although it's too bad Michelle couldn't have been closer to the launch site.

Emilie said...

Awesome!! Congrats!! :)