Thursday, January 22, 2009

Pick me, Pick me!

Well, it seems a little sad that we sent out our Christmas cards inviting people to keep up with the Henry's only to have a month go by since our last blog entry. Actually, it was on purpose. We wanted to give new readers plenty of time to catch up on our doings without overwhelming them with new wonders. I think that the grace period is now over ;)

We were settling back into our regular routine after a fun holiday until this past weekend. Jeff had a scout outing on Saturday--snowboarding at Sunrise Peak Ski Resort. I was looking forward to a day of catching up on laundry etc. (OK, not really, but that's what I needed to do...) The boys left bright and early, 4:30 am, so that they could be on the slopes early enough to make every penny spent worth the trip. I hadn't heard from Jeff all day, so when I got a phone call at about 4, I thought they must be getting ready to leave. Technically, the boys were getting ready to leave, but my sweet husband thought it would be a good idea to visit the Urgent Care in Show Low before heading home. Jeff crashed on his way to the last run of the day. He was going 26 mph (thank goodness he had his GPS on him so that he could know that!) around a bend and ended up face planting, breaking his collar bone in the process. Pretty sweet, huh?


Well, he made it home eventually, a special shout out to Chris for dragging Jeff all over. I surely appreciate it! We went to the orthopedic surgeon on Tuesday morning and found our that he actually broke the collar bone in two places--he broke it away from the sternum and fractured the actual collar bone. The doc said that they will go in and plate the collar bone back together in many cases, but he doesn't want to do it to Jeff unless there is some other problem. I believe that the major reasoning is that all of the major blood vessels from the heart to the brain travel right behind the area of the collar bone that is broken, seems a little risky for an 'unnecessary' surgery. We are going back on the 28th for a follow up x-ray. For now, Jeff just gets to wear a sweet-o sling, take lots of drugs, and ice things up. He doesn't get to drive, which is sweet-o for me because I get to take him to work and pick him up, before and after I go to work. Good thing I am only working 29 hour weeks!

So, the moral of the story: We love Jeff, especially with all of the crazy medical scares. (I have to say that because it seems like every time we go for a 'big' doctors appointment I start hyperventilating because the problem is much bigger than I imagined. I swear Jeff is trying to bump me off....)


We hope that you are each doing well, and that you week has been much less exciting!

4 comments:

Amy Bateman said...

Glad to hear that Jeff won't need surgery, although it sounds like a painful injury. Maybe he's just getting his lifetime quota of medical visits out of the way now instead of spreading them throughout his life.

Rachel said...

Well, might as well have fun while you're getting injured. Glad it's not too serious. Good thing you have the Cardinals to cheer you up.

Anonymous said...

Jeff! Didn't we tell you when you visiting that you used up all your doctor visit coupons! Wink-wink:)

Glad you made it home in one piece though.

love ya both,
emilie

Ashley said...

Hey peeps!
I like the picture you put up of jeff's skeleton :) Haha!!!! :)

Hope Jeffie's feeling better, and I hope you got your laundry done Michelle ;)
Love you both,
Ashley