I was pondering how funny time is this morning. I suppose partly because my baby sister is about to graduate from high school, my oldest brother was just ordained a priest, and Jeff and I are about to celebrate our five year anniversary. Isn't it interesting how some parts of our lives continue on, making it seem as though time doesn't pass, while other events make you wonder where the time has gone, and even others make time seem to crawl by?I tell you what, Ashley graduating makes me think 'Good grief! Where has the time gone?' It doesn't seem that long ago that I was graduating from high school. (Although, Jeff will be happy to tell you that this year is my 10 year high school reunion.) Spencer turning 16 has had the same effect. I know that I am getting older, and I know that means my sibs are getting older as well, but somewhere in my brain they will always be little kids. It shocks me to go home and see how tall my brothers are, or how mature my sisters look.
Our anniversary has a different affect on my perception of time. In so many ways I can't really remember what it was like not to be married to Jeff (I think that is a good thing!). It seems like five isn't a big enough number...on the other hand, I don't feel old enough to have been married five years! It doesn't seem like it should be allowed. (I think my parents might feel that way too...) I haven't accomplished any of the "normal" things that people my age have: I am still attending college (I am getting closer to the end though! There is a light...), and we don't have any kids/pets (I am arguing that they are about the same amount of work and money to take care of, although I guess you don't have to send your pet to college). As we continue to avoid those two mileposts of time, we will continue to think that we are 22. I can't even count on Jeff to help remind me that time is passing--he has as much hair as ever :) I suppose it's OK that we have done lots of things that others our age haven't. We have been able to do different things because our family situation has allowed it, and because we apparently like to do things the hard way. I blame that all on Jeff, something about being a tough guy :) We are enjoying the time that we have together, and I guess that is all that counts.
So, that's what I was thinking this morning. To my siblings: stop growing up so that I have to think about such things!
No comments:
Post a Comment