...a soap box. I am going to share an article with you, it is focused on Dad's. I recognize that not all Dad's need this, and that there are Mom's in the world that need it just as much as Dad's! I also realize that the 3 people that read my blog are probably not the people that need to see this, but, where else am I supposed to vent!
So, here's the article: http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/06/16/pearlman.fathers.day/index.html
And here's my two cents: I know too many awesome ladies that are struggling to fill both parent roles because their husbands are "too busy" with other things. I firmly believe that once you have a child, you don't get to be selfish anymore--I don't care if you chose it or not, you are an adult, and you know how to avoid pregnancy. I think about all of the fun things I did with my family growing up--some were big vacations, but there were lots of little, everyday sorts of fun too. I am sad that so many kids get dumped in front of the tv, computer, wii, insert other gadget here. No one is teaching them how to use their imagination, or how to interact with people, or even how to entertain themselves without having a screen of some sort around! Kids need to know that they are loved, and valued, and how to love and value other people...otherwise they are going to grow up and be lonely, unhappy, sad people. P.S. I feel like this sounds harsh...and maybe it is. However, I still think it needs to be said! Kids are affected by the way the adults in their lives interact with them (or the way they don't interact with them!) It doesn't seem fair to me that a child is damaged because a grownup hasn't grown up.
So do me a favor, and love on those sweet little things called kids, because they are a gift.
Saturday, June 25, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
But I just got the little monsters to bed! Actually, I think we all need a reminder to just spend time with our kids once in a while. Or, we can ship them off to visit their aunts in Arizona! Annelyn is getting excited to visit.
We all need reminders. I see some awesome parents and then there are those to whom you refer. Children are gifts and need to be treated as such. Of course I'm just the aunt and I want what is best for each one. Thanks for the reminder.
I agree--so many of the teens in my classes are starving for attention--any kind of attention--and that leads to unhealthy and unwise choices. Good reminder, Michelle!
Esther
Post a Comment